gnats-prs

Re: gnats/275: index file not generated automatically

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: gnats/275: index file not generated automatically
Date: 27 Oct 2001 21:04:00 -0000

The following reply was made to PR gnats/275; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Milan Zamazal <address@hidden>
To: Yngve Svendsen <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
Date: 27 Oct 2001 21:22:27 +0200

     YS> I think that a good solution would be to make gnatsd say "No PRs
     YS> matched" (as it does for a normal query when there _are_ PRs in
     YS> the database) when the index file exists but is empty. That way,
     YS> we could simply have mkdb create a blank index file when run.

 I don't think this is a good idea.  An empty index is an index file with
 a header and no PRs.  It could be created by gen-index, there is no need
 to create the blank-file-with-a-special-meaning.

 IMHO it would be a little dangerous to let gen-index generate an empty
 index when no PR is found.  When there is no PR, it can signal a more
 serious problem than a newly created database.

 Maybe a good solution might be to add the --force or --empty option to
 gen-index?  What do you think?

 Regards,

 Milan Zamazal

 --