gnats-prs

Re: gnats/437

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: gnats/437
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:26:53 +0100

At 13:56 25.11.2002 -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:

address@hidden writes:

> Thanks for the report. GNATS 4 is a complete rewrite and no
> compatibility between GNATS 4 tools and GNATS 3 servers and vice
> versa can be assumed. This should be mentioned explicitly in the
> documentation. I am setting this to analyzed now, and will update
> documentation as soon as I can.

That is unfortunate; it means I have to have two different versions of
the tools installed, if I need to use both GNATS 4 and GNATS 3
servers.  Also, the GNATS 4 tools have considerable usability
improvements when it comes to accessing remote servers (3.x tools are
locked to a single server at compile time, as far as I can tell).

I don't see any reason in principle why the newer tools couldn't
implement the older protocol for backward compatibility.

I think there are two main reasons why this hasn't been considered:

- Development resources: there are very few people actively working on GNATS development. The focus is squarely on getting a usable version 4 out of the door. - A clean break with past: The GNATS 3 network protocol is badly designed and contains field-specific commands. query-pr for instance still supports the old field-specific options, but these are marked as deprecated and in the long run we will probably remove them in favour of the far more powerful query expression syntax. This will reduce code complexity a lot.

I am only speaking for myself now, but I believe that a clean break with version 3 is the best way to go. GNATS 4 is a very different beast from GNATS 3, and although it induces pain for sites that won't convert all their GNATS databases to version 4, it makes a very resource-starved development project much simpler.

Yngve Svendsen