gnats-prs

Re: gnats/437

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: gnats/437
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:56:36 -0800

address@hidden writes:

> Thanks for the report. GNATS 4 is a complete rewrite and no
> compatibility between GNATS 4 tools and GNATS 3 servers and vice
> versa can be assumed. This should be mentioned explicitly in the
> documentation. I am setting this to analyzed now, and will update
> documentation as soon as I can.

That is unfortunate; it means I have to have two different versions of
the tools installed, if I need to use both GNATS 4 and GNATS 3
servers.  Also, the GNATS 4 tools have considerable usability
improvements when it comes to accessing remote servers (3.x tools are
locked to a single server at compile time, as far as I can tell).

I don't see any reason in principle why the newer tools couldn't
implement the older protocol for backward compatibility.

zw