gnats-prs

gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitut

From: bug-gnats
Subject: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitutions in do_subst
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:45:01 -0500 (CDT)

The following reply was made to PR gnats/669; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: Stephane Chazelas <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: gnats/669: Re: gnats/669: missing @XXX@ keyword substitutions in
do_subst
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:43:03 -0500

 address@hidden  wrote:
 >  Is there any reason why the substitutions are done at the make time
 >  instead of at the configure time by the autoconf dedicated routine?

 Part of it is historical crossover from the old setup, but part of it
 was my impressions of the autoconf and automake manuals, which so much
 as said that the substitutions done in autoconf should be limited to
 Makefiles and configuration files.  I'll see if I can find the
 reference from which I was given this impression.

 Personally, I would have been happy relying upon autoconf to generate
 all of the substitutions necessary rather than reinventing the wheel
 inside the Makefile's.  That means all of the manpages and some of the
 documentation could potentially be hit by configure.

 I also made an effort not to use any GNU Make'isms when constructing
 the Makefile.am files.  A review is probably necessary.

 --
 Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/