Re: [Gnewsense-dev] new gNewSense/MIPS netboot & archive

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] new gNewSense/MIPS netboot & archive
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 22:39:33 +0100

Robert Millan schreef:
Hi!

I rolled a new netboot image, and corrected a number of issues in the archive.
What we have now:

  - tasksel didn't work (package selection wasn't automatically installed).
    It's quite messy to work with tasksel anyway, so I got rid of it, and
    now use preseeding for package selection instead.

  - wireless was mistakenly disabled by deblob, fixed now (thanks to DJB
    Clark for pointing it out).

  - renamed distroname (lenny -> mipsel-l)

  - fixed a few package conflicts.

Note: I experienced stability problems that sometimes brought Linux down when
performing a full (+desktop) install.  Therefore the desktop components are
not enabled by default, you have to install them manually afterwards:

  apt-get install gnewsense-pkgsel-desktop

Note2: for those who already installed with an older version, the current URIs
for sources.list are:

deb http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-mipsel-l/pruned-upstream mipsel-l
main
deb http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-mipsel-l/pruned-upstream-security
mipsel-l main
deb http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-mipsel-l/overlay mipsel-l main

My experience with a fresh install on /dev/hda5 (summarizing, because it's much like Samy's):

- "LVM not available" near the start
- It got stuck at 90% for about 5 or 10 minutes. I could use tty2 just fine, so it's not a kernel problem. There seemed to be no network activity and the hard drive LED only flashed briefly a few times per minute. After that it continued on with creating the vmlinux symlink. - I also had to try a few time with PMON2000. It didn't seem to like the symlink and the logical partition very much. - While installing gnewsense-pkgsel-desktop I happened to see that some Gnome menu stuff was skipping denemo.desktop and nted.desktop because they don't include a menu name. Probably not mips-specific, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

It's still working on the desktop install right now, but I guess there won't be many surprises with that.

Thanks for the improvements.