Re: [Gnewsense-dev] new how to help draft page

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] new how to help draft page
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:26:27 +0100

Graziano Sorbaioli schreef:

Due to a recent discussion about how to attract more developers to
gNewSense I am working at the new how to help page here:

http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/CurrentProjectsTest

I am looking for your help because I think the "description" entry of
each role should be detailed better.

Could you help me writing something better?

May I suggest a different naming scheme? I think we can lose the "gNewSense" in every header because I don't think we'll have any projects not related to gNewSense. I suggest making it all Teams. Not only is it more reader-friendly to have it all the same, it also sounds more encouraging.

Allow me to illustrate my point. Let's say Eric has just discovered gNewSense and has found his way to the HowToHelp page. He has done some scribbling in XHTML and CSS and knows how to use a validator, so he sees if he can contribute some work on the website. Eric has only recently heard about free software and this is his first encounter with the development side of it. Licenses, binary blobs, mailing lists, command lines, ..., it's all a bit intimidating. "Hm, it says here on this Current Projects page that the website is being worked on by the Website Developers. I'm more of a beginner, not a hacker like those guys. I'd best not get in the way." Whereas when Eric read about the "Website Team" he'd rather think: "Hey, there's a team I can join. I bet they can explain to me how things work and point me to something I can start with. If there's a problem, I can always ask someone for help." So with "team" the emphasis lies on the group rather than on the individual.

So:
- Builder Team
- Website Team
- Artwork Team
- Documentation Team
- Freedom Verification Team
- Tranlation Teams
- Community Management Team

For the description of the Freedom Verification Team:
Check if code is free of binary blobs and distributed under a free license.

I am still waiting for someone at the FSF/gNewSense to open an email
alias for the Volunteer Coordinator.

gvc at nongnu.org?

gvc at gnu.org already exists
gvc at gnewsense.org  I don't know if it's possible to have.