Re: [Gnewsense-dev] kernel panick with linux-ec-yeeloong

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] kernel panick with linux-ec-yeeloong
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:37:41 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for looking into this.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:08:56PM +0800, yanhua wrote:
> This error is caused by our patch to gcc. It generates a instruction
> which causes overflow exception. Instead, we should use a exception free
> instruction.

So this usually works in userland, because Linux catches the exception,
but not in kernel mode?

What you describe sounds like something that can be fixed with some
flag (e.g. like -msoft-float).  Are you sure this isn't possible?

> Thanks very much for your report. We are now correcting the GCC, and
> will release it. Then you need to recompile your kernel and modules, and
> all programs you use the wrong gcc compiled.

We're using stock gcc 4.3.2-1.1.  Could you point me to the commit that
fixed this issue?  I'd rather backport a patch than using a development
branch of GCC, if possible.

--
Robert Millan