Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNS packaging (.deb and source .deb)

From: Frederique W. Piccart
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNS packaging (.deb and source .deb)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:06:44 +0000

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:53:37 +0200, Niklas Cholmkvist
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if someone makes packages for debian, and wants to make packages for
> gNewSense, does that packager need to change anything in the way that
> packager makes it's packages? For example do they need to replace,
> wherever it says 'debian' with 'gnewsense'? Are there any other
> concerns?
>
> Cheers

I don't believe so, not at the moment at least. Most of the packages, if
not all, are labeled with lenny right now in metad.

Maybe in the future, once the gNewSense userbase and maintainer list grows
out largely, gNewSense might start its own packaging system so it does not
have to rely on Debian that much, but I don't see that happening anytime
soon, although it would be nice. :)

If you want a certain package to end up in gNewSense, you can either make
sure it's accepted in Debian, but it would take a while for it to appear on
gNewSense seeing it's based on the stable branch. I know you can adopt
packages in gNewSense, so you might also be able to introduce any new
packages.