Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNS packaging (.deb and source .deb)

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNS packaging (.deb and source .deb)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:22:38 +1030

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:06:44 +0000
"Frederique W. Piccart" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:53:37 +0200, Niklas Cholmkvist
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,

Hi,

> > if someone makes packages for debian, and wants to make packages for
> > gNewSense, does that packager need to change anything in the way
> > that packager makes it's packages? For example do they need to

Depends which Distribution, and how they've made the package.

> > replace, wherever it says 'debian' with 'gnewsense'? Are there any

No. (For example, you can't remove the debian/ directory in the package
source).
The answer to this also changes depending on which gNewSense
personality your dealing with (deltah or metad).

> > other concerns?
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> I don't believe so, not at the moment at least. Most of the packages,
> if not all, are labeled with lenny right now in metad.

They've been directly imported from Debian, so they carry over their
old distribution name.

> Maybe in the future, once the gNewSense userbase and maintainer list
> grows out largely, gNewSense might start its own packaging system so
> it does not have to rely on Debian that much, but I don't see that
> happening anytime soon, although it would be nice. :)

If 'own packaging system' means 'own package building' then yes, that
should come along. (Depending on how busy i am, sooner or later...)

> If you want a certain package to end up in gNewSense, you can either
> make sure it's accepted in Debian, but it would take a while for it
> to appear on gNewSense seeing it's based on the stable branch. I know
> you can adopt packages in gNewSense, so you might also be able to
> introduce any new packages.

Depends on the package, how intrusive the change is, and wether you
look like someone we should accept packages from [1].

[1] for example if your in a suite and tie I'll doubt you :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au