Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 2.6.31.6 kernel feedback

From: Wu Zhangjin
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 2.6.31.6 kernel feedback
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:29:10 +0800

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 13:14 +0000, Frederique W. Piccart wrote:
> Compared to the previous kernel that had been put up a week or two ago,
> nothing much changed for me, wireless got worse.
>
> It seems, regardless if you press Fn + F5 at boot or not, that radio will
> always be off at the beginning. Shortly after this there is a 40 - 50
> second DHCP timeout procedure, which afterwards, the kernel will enable
> wireless, but doesn't bother to connect to the Internet.
>

> Why does it disable wireless at first, to then DHCP timeout for a while,
> and then enable wireless?

Hmm, I guess here is the reason:

actions sequence

action                           radio status

1. system boot
2. Fn + F5 pressed                     off
an hotkey interrupt send to processor
3. wireless modules loaded
  disable radio by default              off
4. interrupt handling for Fn+F5
  switch the status of radio            on

Again, I recommend the users who want the wireless is on when booting do
these jobs:

touch /etc/rfkill/defstate
echo 1 > /etc/rfkill/defstate

and put this line into /etc/rc.local

cat /etc/rfkill/defstate > /sys/rfkill/rfkill0/state

and in the future, hope a new interface will be added by the
NetworkManager(or gnome-power-manager/kpowersave) maintainers to allow
users to configure the default booting status of rfkill. and even record
the last status in /sys/rfkill/rfkill0/state

> Also:
> - Multiple sounds still can't be played at once, even with ESD enabled.
> (no Gajim sounds while Rhythmbox is playing for example, disable Rhythmbox,
> Gajim sounds work)

This has no relation with the kernel part, attached two config files,
which may fix this issue.

> - Screen refresh rate still shows as 0 Hz in the resolution configuration
> tool.

And also, no problem with my debian 6.0. there are four available
choices(60,70,73,75) provided by gnome-display-properties.

Thanks & Regards,
        Wu Zhangjin