Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Bad defaults cause bad bug

From: aurele
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Bad defaults cause bad bug
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 04:07:15 -0500

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 07:22 +0000, Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
wrote:
> aurele wrote:
> > A possible way for audacity and other sound register ...
> >
> > For sure it's not a mathematical response, but I give you the solution
> > I've found because I already have this trouble of strange noise when I
> > record "directly" with audacity in concert or live session with music
> > instrument.
> >
> > So I use a Sony MD player/recorder or a special music record external
> > hard drive to record concert session, and after I record from the
> > support to audacity.
> >
> > I don't understand why, (the quality compression why not) but the noise
> > desapear and the record is good.
> >

> Are you using an external mic?
> If not you will pick up hardware noise.
> Sadly an external mic and headset are a requirement 90% of the time if
> you want reasonable quality with any laptop recording.
>
> That other 10% is just luck. ;-)
>
> P.

Hi P.,

I'll try to be as clear as possible ...

So to help some friends here I record them in live concert, there a lot
of music instruments and voice, all are connected on a master table and
I record from the output master table.

we can draw this like that :

guitare -----------
                   ---
singuer -----------   ---
                   ---   ---
battery -----------   ---   ---
                   ---   ---   --- Mix Master Table --- record solution
micro 1 -----------   ---   ---
                   ---   ---
micro 2 -----------   ---
                   ---
...     -----------

If I use a laptop with audacity, their is an horrible noise

If I use a Mini Disk MD recorder the sound is good

If I use a Special External Music hard drive the sound is good

At this time I use the MD to record first and after I record a second
time from the MD to the laptop with audacity. and the sound is good (but
not as best as I think it's really possible) to make audio CD.

That's why I think of the compression quality ... or something in the
code.

But for sure I am just a little user, not a Master of Code or something
else.

-- aurele

"On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soit" Jean De La Fontaine