[Gnewsense-dev] Re: New Forum

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: New Forum
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:25:21 -0500

Brice Chaffin wrote:
>> I only mention them because the m2f thing I found at
>> http://mail2forum.com/ doesn't yet support phpBB3 and I couldn't find
>> anything else that did.  :(  I don't suppose that precludes the
>> creation of such a thing, though...
>>
>> http://www.phorum.org/phorum5/read.php?62,140380,140380#msg-140380
>>
>> http://www.phorum.org/phorum5/read.php?62,129244,129244#msg-129244
>
> Thanks Jason. I'll look into those in the near future.
> I had looked at m2f also, but you're right, it's not ready for phpBB3
> yet. I certainly wouldn't want to dig up a copy of 2 just to stick with
> phpBB. In the end, I'll use whatever works as long as it can meet with
> everyone elses approval.

Another option you can look into (that I've used in the past) is to
gateway the mailing list to a private nntp server (there is one that is
simple-stupid to set up - newsd I think), and then set up / integrate
with the rest of the website via web-based nntp client software -
http://code.google.com/p/bacaberita/ http://web-news.sourceforge.net/
etc. One advantage is that it is really trivial to try different /
multiple web front-ends, and change in the future, since the back-end
uses a standardized protocol (and can also be swapped out in favor of
inn, diablo etc. if needed without effecting the front end).

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark