[Gnewsense-dev] r8169 module is disabled

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] r8169 module is disabled
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 10:47:39 +0100

Op Fri, 01 Feb 2013 06:20:19 +0100
schreef Marek Buras <address@hidden>:
> Is modifying patched Debian sources for the
> kernel good idea at all or should we use linux-libre-2.6.32 and then
> apply some critical patches to it?

The first option is what we have now. It needs to be done once per
release and maintenance is a matter of modifying new Debian patches
when they come out.

The second option means we'd have to mold linux-libre into Debian
packages and stay of top of security issues ourselves.

Both are a lot of work, but the second is more work than the first. Our
current implementation is imperfect (e.g. r8169 doesn't work), but I
don't see the advantage of choosing the second option.