Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New Member looking for Active role in Development te

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New Member looking for Active role in Development team.
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 22:44:19 +0200

Op Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:11:35 -0500
schreef Craig Magras <address@hidden>:

> To whom it may concern,
>      My name is Craig, and as stated in the Subject of this email I'm
> looking for an
> active role in your development team. This is the first project I have
> ever tried to get
> involved with and really look forward to making many useful
> contributions. I do have a working
> knowledge of "Python, C, bash, [and] GNU tools" however, I have only
> ever used these tools
> experimenting on my own, and for my own hobby’s. I'm very eager to
> learn new skills and
> put them to use as well (DEB/Packaging and Bugfiling). I've been
> studying programming and
> computer science concepts in general for 5-years now, hoping to one
> day obtain a career in
> software development (thinking College was unnecessary) with no-luck
> so far. If there's
> anything I can do to help/contribute the community please contact me.
> I look forward to
> learning, helping out, and being an active member of this community.

Welcome. I suggest you start by looking through our bug list [1], or
just the easy bugs [2] if you want to start small. If you want to
modify a package, then first read our packaging introduction [3]. Apply
that knowledge to the package and send your patch to this mailing list
or attach it to the bug report. Together we'll hone it to perfection,
after which I'll commit it to the repository.

If you're interested in bugs that don't require modifying a package,
then let us know so we can discuss it.

Other things on the todo list are updated outdated wiki pages [4] and
making debderiver [5] (Python) look more like a real program instead of
a dirty hack.

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=gnewsense
[2] http://www.gnewsense.org/DevelopmentTeam/EasyBugs
[3] http://www.gnewsense.org/Packaging