Re: [Gnewsense-dev] I would like to contribute

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] I would like to contribute
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 22:49:24 +0200

Op Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:24:54 +0100 (BST)
schreef Antonios Antoniadis <address@hidden>:

> As per the title of this e-mail, I want contribute on development
> and/or packaging.

Welcome.

> I'm a Linux systems/virtualization administrator in a Scottish
> hosting company. Part of my job role includes process improvement and
> intense documentation. I fully support Libre GNU/Linux variants and
> it seems that gNewSense is possibly the best.

Thanks.

> I'm a FSF member with a great network background and advanced skills
> in Python and Linux shell programming. I have competitive skills in
> C. I never had the chance to contribute in a distro so no practical
> experience on packaging.I can devote time and I guess I could get a
> low-importance package or test package to work on, but I will need
> basic guidelines.
>
> I'm not sure in what level gNewSense differs from Debian network-wise
> but I'm confident I can help with any network scripts or so.

Besides from including Networkmanager in the live image, I don't think
there's much to do in that area.

> I use the linux-libre kernel on almost all GNU/Linux instances I
> have, so I'd like to help with the scripts, again, after some
> introduction to it.

We'll most likely need to deal with that for the kernel of Parkes+1.

> I don't mind getting all the lousy things now that I'm starting, I
> really want to help.

Careful what you wish for. :)

> I'd appreciate your replies and any additional information.

I suggest you start by looking through our bug list [1], or just the
easy bugs [2] if you want to start small. If you want to modify a
package, then first read our packaging introduction [3]. Apply that
knowledge to the package and send your patch to this mailing list or
attach it to the bug report. Together we'll hone it to perfection,
after which I'll commit it to the repository.

If you're interested in bugs that don't require modifying a package,
then let us know so we can discuss it.

Other things on the todo list are updated outdated wiki pages [4] and
making debderiver [5] look more like a real program instead of a dirty
hack.

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=gnewsense
[2] http://www.gnewsense.org/DevelopmentTeam/EasyBugs
[3] http://www.gnewsense.org/Packaging