gnewsense-users

[gNewSense-users] Re: Where's laptop advice? I started a wiki page...

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Where's laptop advice? I started a wiki page...
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 22:42:58 +0200

Yavor Doganov <yavor-mXXj517/address@hidden> writes:

> Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Wireless and sound weren't working by default, otherwise everything
>> appeared to work.
>
> BTW, devices not working by default doesn't imply they're not
> supported.

Right -- but I think the fact that a particular laptop doesn't work by
default has some value too.

To make this clearer, mentioning which version of gNewSense was tested
(and whether it was the live cd or an installed system with tweaks) is a
good idea.

If someone has more experience with getting
wireless/bluetooth/sound/suspend working on Dell mini 10v, I would
expect that it could be added to the wiki page.

> I spent considerable time to get sound working at my elder daughter's
> laptop (Thinkpad 600E).  Likewise for IrDA.
>
> These are bugs nobody cares enough to fix (ISA cards, archaic IrDA
> devices), but they work well with the free drivers in the gNS' kernel
> (once configured with the right incantations, of course).  Which means
> they are perfectly legitimate from a freedom perspective.

Right.  To me there are two ways to use the page:

1) to find laptops which you can run with only free software on, or

2) to find laptops which works well with gNewSense.

There is overlap between these goals, but the goals are not completely
overlapping.  Perhaps in the long run this could be two separate pages,
but for now I think we have too little information to usefully separate
the two.

Thanks,
/Simon