gnewsense-users

Re: [gNewSense-users] Where's laptop advice? I started a wiki page...

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Where's laptop advice? I started a wiki page...
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 16:08:31 +0100

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> 1) to find laptops which you can run with only free software on, or

Here's a page on the groups.fsf.org wiki that's documenting something
similar:

http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Freest_hardware_comparisons

> 2) to find laptops which work well with gNewSense.

I think this is more useful for the gNewSense wiki.

I think we can assume the reader has already decided that gNewSense is the
distro they want to use.  This makes things simpler, and by being simple we
can have a larger audience.

Having non-working components doesn't mean we're encouraging the use of
non-free drivers.  I had a laptop for three years whose wifi didn't work
with free software drivers, so I disabled the wifi card.  And another
computer didn't have a good X driver, so I used a low resolution.  Another
had a windows-modem, so I bought an external.  No problem.  It just means we
have to inform the reader about what limitations they'll have to do to avoid
unknowlingly using non-free software.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan, +32 487 64 17 54, http://ciaran.compsoc.com

Please help build the software patents wiki: http://en.swpat.org