Re: SMSD Compilation error.

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: SMSD Compilation error.
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:39:20 +0100 (CET)

> > Please check the /usr/lib/ directory too. If you find a libgnokii.so
> > there remove it and try it again! (I see you installed the current
> > version under /usr/local/)
> >
> > > I'm not exactly familiar with building c programs, but are the
> > > "undefined reference" errors a result of the build process not finding
> > > certain files?
> >
> > The linker search for libgnokii.so in the standard directories first.
> > If it find an older version it will try to link with that version and
> > you will get a lot of similar linker errors.

This is in contrast with manual page and with logic.

       -Lsearchdir
       --library-path=searchdir
           Add path searchdir to the list of paths that  ld  will
           search  for  archive libraries and ld control scripts.
           You may use this option  any  number  of  times.   The
           directories  are  searched  in the order in which they
           are specified on the command line.  Directories speci?
           fied  on  the  command  line  are  searched before the
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           default directories.  All -L options apply to  all  -l
           options,  regardless of the order in which the options
           appear.

           The default set of paths searched (without being spec?
           ified  with  -L) depends on which emulation mode ld is
           using, and in some cases also on how  it  was  config?
           ured.

           The  paths can also be specified in a link script with
           the "SEARCH_DIR" command.  Directories specified  this
           way  are  searched  at  the  point in which the linker
           script appears in the command line.

The smsd is linked with command:
gcc -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib smsd.o lowlevel.o  -lpthread `glib-config
--libs` -s -rdynamic -L../common -lgnokii -ldl -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lX11
-o smsd

The only wrong thing here is -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib. It is from
$(TOPDIR)/Makefile.global. Pawel said the he will look for
reason why it is there some time ago. If he will find that it is necessary
for gnokii, I will have to ignore $(TOPDIR)/Makefile.global because it is evil.

                                        jan

--
The idea of networking is probably as old as telecommunications itself.
Consider people living in the stone age, where drums may have been used to