Re: Problems sending SMSes with 6210

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: Problems sending SMSes with 6210
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:16:16 +0100

Hi!

> > Aggh, we had a multithreaded solution initally.  One of the main points of
> > the current statemachine was to avoid threads!
>
> I know, but the 0.3.x solution wasn't perfect. It was built over signal
> driven io which caused a lot of problem. My idea is to implement a
> multi threaded engine which communicates via queues and semaphores. This
> should portable enough (even win32 won't be a problem).
>
> The current approach has some drawbacks, e.g. keepalive handling should be
> a pain, user must call it regulary or lost the connection to the phone.

If that's a problem (I do not see situation
where app using libgnokii is not able
to call it regulary -- it is computing
something?),
then pain should stay with the application.
Neither gnokii, nor xgnokii, nor smsd
has thatroblem, so the problem is
probably not worth solving.

> Multiple phone support isn't practical if the caller application isn't
> multi threaded.

Why not? Look how gtk handles
multiple streams...
                                Pavel
--
                                Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't