I'm a new user - Problems with IRDA and 8210.

From: Jois
Subject: I'm a new user - Problems with IRDA and 8210.
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:48:39 +0100

Hello, I am a new user for this list, and for Linux too.
I have a Debian distribution with 2.4.18 kernel, a Mitac notebook and Nokia 8210 and I do not manage to make my phone work, even if the IRDA is activated in both hardware devices. The dmesg command says: Irda registered on /dev/irda0, I set my .gnokiirc configuration file like this:
port = /dev/irda0
model = 8210
connection = infrared
I read on the list archive that in one file there is a # 8210, to take the # away but I didn't understand in which file it is. I suppose that is the problem, as the gnokii, when I write on the command line gnokii --identify says:
Initializing GSM_BUS failed! model not supported? quitting.
Someone please could help me?
As I am really newbie, I read the howto about a SIR something to set in the kernel but I do not know what it is, I just read the dmesg saying IRDA was registered (I suppose it works). I am blind, so I can not see if it blinks or does something else, and there can not be any sound association, as in win98, and because of my Braille device, running BRLTTy http://dave.mielke.cc/brltty I can't use the serial port, otherwise I should plug my braille device out and will not have the computer control any longer.
Bye and thanks for the help
Jois