[gnokii-0.5.0rc1] Sucess & Proposal for patch

From: Helge Deller
Subject: [gnokii-0.5.0rc1] Sucess & Proposal for patch
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 02:10:31 +0100

Hi all,

First of all, thanks a lot for this software !

I've tested rc1 on my SuSE 8.1 system, built it from the source
and it works great with my Nokia 6310 via IRDA.

With this sucess, I've started a KDE addressbook import/export tool
using libgnokii. My program works already correctly, but I stumbled over a
few problems during building and running with the library version of the
gnokii-0.5.0rc1 release:

a) I would like to propose the small attached ("u8.patch"):
- API u8 gn_ringtone_pack(gn_ringtone *ringtone, unsigned char *package, int
*maxlength);
+API unsigned char gn_ringtone_pack(gn_ringtone *ringtone, unsigned char
*package, int *maxlength)
it makes it a little easier portable and don't forces me to include other
headers.
Please remember, I don't include GTK or Gnome libs....

b) Maybe you could add the patch "version.patch" or a similiar one too ?
It adds MAJOR/MINOR version numbers to gnokii.h, which makes it maybe later
more easy to distiguish between different libgnokii versions at runtime ?

c) In the file common/devices/unixserial.c, line 430, you use
"exit(EXIT_FAILURE);"
which is really ugly in a library. My tool is dlopen()'d by the KAddressbook,
and when
exit() is called, KAddressbook will be closed at once and it looks for the user
as
it crashed. Isn't there any possibility to return a failure-value back to the
caller instead,
and then he could then call exit() if necessary.. ?

Best regards,
Helge