Re: Phones getting killed when using smsd

From: Johannes Lehtinen
Subject: Re: Phones getting killed when using smsd
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:57:31 +0300

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 10:23:04PM +0200, Pawel Kot wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Johannes Lehtinen wrote:
> > Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it possible that the
> > software could somehow damage the phone or overload it? Or should we
> > assume that server hardware or cable is somehow faulty?
>
> Unfortunately yes. Tomasz Kobylinski reported similiar behaviour
> recently. And it seems it was introduced in 0.5.x series. I'd like to find
> the exact change that caused that effect, but I know that it will be
> extremly hard.

We just received the first dead phone (7110) which was delivered to
Nokia repair service for inspection. It was deemed not worth fixing.
However, the repair service said that according to their inspection the
most probable cause was that the flash chip had been damaged.

Could it be that the smsd is somehow able to overload the flash chip?
For example by continuously querying the phone memory for messages or
somehow activating flash write while polling for messages? Or could it
be possible that some event (communication failure or something like
that) would put smsd in a mode where it would go in infinite loop
reading, erasing or writing phone message slots?

Just guessing here but I will try to do more testing regarding this
problem.

--
Johannes Lehtinen <address@hidden>, http://www.iki.fi/jle/