Re: [OpenSync] Gnokii

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: [OpenSync] Gnokii
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:39:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Dave Hall wrote:

Hi Dave,

It's probably just an incident that I subscribed opensync ml just today,
but... ;-)

> One thing I was thinking of it that Nokia mobile phones to the best of
> my knowledge will only sync using syncML via GPRS, which can get
> costly.  Gnokii (http://www.gnokii.org/) is GNU/Linux implementation of
> nokia's backup/restore system (and more).  It would be great if there
> could be a slightly hackish system to sync Nokia phones via cable.

Yeah indeed. There's a distinction though between older Nokia phones (with
FBUS protocol support) and newer Nokia phones (Symbian based).
We, at gnokii, are thinking now what do to the best with the Symbian
phones. Newer phones are much richer in functionality then the older ones,
and gnokii concept as it is now needs some extension.

But as fas as I understand OpenSync goal is to design the protocol, and
these are rather technical issues.

> I haven't had any previous contact with the project, so I have no idea
> what the support for such a concept would be.

I'd be happy to support OpenSync within libgnokii.

take care,
p k o t a t b e z s e n s u d o t p l
http://www.gnokii.org/