Re: [OpenSync] Gnokii

From: Garrick Welsh
Subject: Re: [OpenSync] Gnokii
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:40:29 +1000

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 05:44, Pawel Kot wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Armin Bauer wrote:
>
> Hi Armin,
>
> > these kind of devices anyways. There a lot of devices out there where
> > the database is pulled completly from the device, synced locally and
> > then pushed onto the device again.

While I agree that this isn't the way that you'd like things to be done,
if you look at a fair amount of the sync software for phones under
windows and they still use this. For example the Motorola V600 as far as
I can tell syncs by downloading the entire memory from the phone and
then creating it's own temporary address book and then syncing that,
followed by copying the data back to the phone. Pretty crappy
considering this phone has syncml support. If this is how the syncing
support is written natively for a device, we probably aren't going to be
able to write something better without changing the firmware on the
device. I'm not really up for that. :)

--
Garrick Welsh

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu
speech.
                -- Mark Twain