Device for gnokii for use on AT&T in the US

From: Jeffrey T Eaton
Subject: Device for gnokii for use on AT&T in the US
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:51:21 -0400

I'm looking to set up a monitoring system which can send alerts via SMS with gnokii, and I'm looking for recommendations for a device which:

- is known to work well on the AT&T network in the US
- is supported well with gnokii
- isn't a phone, but is just a simple serial/usb device, or even an ethernet-type device that can be accessed via HTTP or other simple protocol.

I only care about the ability to send and recieve SMS messages over the air, and have my monitoring system easily interface with it. I don't want or need to be able to make voice calls, or establish internet connections over the air.

Any suggestions?

-jeaton