RE: Nagios/Groundwork's issue

From: Michael Hutchinson
Subject: RE: Nagios/Groundwork's issue
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:09:44 +1200

I use these directives for Nagios 1.3 running on Debian Sarge with a
serial-port connected Nokia phone, found in misccommands.cfg Nagios
config file.

# sms notify using gnokii-smsd

define command{
        command_name    host-notify-by-sms
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf
"$CONTACTPAGER$\n$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" >
/var/spool/sms/$TIMET$
}

define command{
        command_name    notify-by-sms
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf
"$CONTACTPAGER$\n$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is
$SERVICESTATE$" > /var/spool/sms/$TIMET$
}

Gnokii operates in directory mode, and checks /var/spool/sms constantly.
If a new file is found there, it's treated as a text message, the first
line of which is the destination phone number, and the next line is the
message.
Works very well, and has been doing so for over 4 years.

Here are the lines I use in misccommands.cfg with Nagios3 running under
Centreon. This was built around 4 years after the previous system.

define command{
        command_name                    host-notify-by-sms
        command_line                    /usr/bin/printf
"$CONTACTPAGER$\n$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$" >
/var/spool/sms/`date +%d%m%Y%H%M%S%N`
}

define command{
        command_name                    notify-by-sms
        command_line                    /usr/bin/printf
"$CONTACTPAGER$\n$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is
$SERVICESTATE$" > /var/spool/sms/`date +%d%m%Y%H%M%S%N`
}

You can see, in the last 4-5 years, not much has changed with Nagios
when using Gnokii for alerting ;-)

Cheers,
Mike