Trying to get a Nokia N79 to work

From: Godfrey
Subject: Trying to get a Nokia N79 to work
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 14:01:37 +0200

Hello

I have got a Nokia N79 and am trying to set it up to send sms's I am not wanting any thing fancy just to send me sms's in addition to the other notification methods I already employ for power outages loss of connectivity etc etc.

I have managed to get this far and am stuck

Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
Serial device: opening device /dev/ugen4.2
Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for device

No matter what I try I am unable to proceed beyond this point

Google is not much help here I was wondering what suggestions you guys might have.

Regards

Godfrey

address@hidden ~ # usbconfig ; gnokii --identify
ugen0.1: <UHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen4.1: <EHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen3.1: <UHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <UHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <UHCI root HUB VIA> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen4.2: <N79 Nokia> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
GNOKII Version 0.6.31
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /usr/local/etc/gnokiirc.
phone instance config:
model = AT
port = /dev/ugen4.2
connection = serial
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 115200
serial_write_usleep = 5000
handshake = hardware
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 60
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Initializing AT capable mobile phone ...
Serial device: opening device /dev/ugen4.2
Gnokii serial_open: tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Couldn't open ATBUS device: Inappropriate ioctl for device
AT bus initialization failed (1)
Initialization failed (1)
Serial device: closing device
Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
Quitting.
Command failed.