Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: today's merges

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: today's merges
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 06:21:23 +1000

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 02:34, Robert Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 02:16, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> > Anyway, star-merge is a convenience function.  Arch without it still
> > does things to avoid the "repeated merge problem".
>
> It may still "do things" but as far as I can tell the star-merge
> algorithm is not trivial to do by hand.  I'm open to being shown
> otherwise.

I'm not sure what the new corner cases Tom implemented are - so take
this with the proverbial grain of salt.

The old star merge was essentially:
tla deltapatch commonancestor sourcebranch tobranchworkingdir
outputlocation

Where commonancestor is the highest common revision in both sourcebranch
and tobranch.

Not hard at all to figure by hand with judicious use of whats-missing
and head.

Rob