[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla bash completion

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla bash completion
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 07:24:39 +0100

On Sep 02 2003, Tom wrote:
>     > >     > Some programs give an argument to -v (actually, more typically
> to -d,
>     > >     > --debug-level).  Others count the number of -v's, increasing
> verbosity
>     > >     > with repetition.
>
>     > > I get tired of repeating this but I will at least one more time:
>     > >       Option arguments must not be optional.
>
>     > At least with the -v method, there are no arguments to the option; it
>     > just counts the number of time the option occurs.
>
> Ok, that doesn't violate an Official Standard but it still interacts
> poorly with aliases, scripting, and so forth.
>
> Why count occurences of an option rather than given an option argument
> which is an integer?

My personal preference would be -v = --verbose, -vv = --very-verbose. I
don't know if hackerlab supports this though -- can `short' arguments be
more than one letter? Anyway, how often do you need `(very)+ verbose'
output anyway? Maybe it is okay if there _is_ no short option, and only
long ones? (bad for symmetry, maybe, but hey...)

Stig

--
brautaset.org