[Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS
Date: 06 Sep 2003 12:45:05 +0900

Zack Brown <address@hidden> writes:
> One thing you don't mention in your post is that darcs supports
> arbitrary characters in filenames, which arch doesn't do (and
> apparently will not). That's a big deal.

Based on what I understand of the technical issues, and what Tom posted
earlier, it seems that arch won't support arbitrary filename characters
_soon_, but there's no particular reason why it can't do so eventually
(there doesn't seem to be any great technical hurdle, just attention to
getting all the details right).

> David Roundy (the darcs maintainer) is very nice and doesn't chew people
> out and belittle them the way Tom does. That could be considered a
> feature.

Eh, I think that's kind of unfair to Tom.  I'd characterize him
(and sorry to speak about you in the 3rd person like this Tom!) as
generally fairly easy-going, but occasionally flips out -- i.e., a damn
sight better than most of the brilliant-assholes you often find on
free-software/open-source mailing lists (the BSD lists are rather famous
for such people).

I've seen the famous email-that-resulted-in-arx, and yeah, it's quite
unfair and absurd -- but I don't think it's typical.

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.