Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] Architectural renovation

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] Architectural renovation
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 10:09:33 +0100

>     Bruce> I tried "apt-get install xemacs21-gnome-mule", and looked
>     Bruce> at the Find dialog.  I don't know what was wrong (window
>     Bruce> manager, gtk theme, bad Debian build, or whatever), but it
>     Bruce> looked awful.  I wouldn't choose it for playing with based
>     Bruce> on that.
>
> If you don't get past that, you're not playing in the same world we
> are.
>
> I don't have a problem with that, except that it's absolutely
> symptomatic.  Basically what's happening is that people are saying
> "XEmacs isn't as pretty as a real GNOME app" and uninstalling it,
> while the developers say "so fix it already, you have the tools, you
> can rebuild it, what are you waiting for, Six Million Dollars?!?"

I should have been more explicit.  It wasn't just aesthetically
wrong---it was obviously buggy.  It had what looked like a button
which the dialog wasn't tall enough to display, and the whole thing
flickered constantly.  And as I said, I don't know what might have
been wrong---possibly the Debian build (slightly wrong versions of the
gtk libraries or something).

[...]