Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Utterly painless arch?

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Utterly painless arch?
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:10:43 -0700

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 05:52:07PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 09:00:41AM -0700, Zack Brown wrote:
> > The tagging method you talk about is another issue, but less important.
> > Default tagging should just be by name, so the user doesn't have to do
> > anything. Let the power users choose better tagging systems, and let
> > novices have things just work reasonably.
>
> This might be a little more convincing if you could find _anybody_ who
> uses the 'names' tagging method. I haven't seen it used, yet.

It seems to be the only tagging method that doesn't actually require
anything of the user. When you use 'names', you don't have to modify the
files, everything is just taken care of as best as tla can figure out
how to take care of it. Of course it's not the best behavior possible,
but it's the least intrusive.

I don't think 'names' should be used once people have a good enough
understanding to use something else. But when they're just starting out
with tla, 'names' makes it easy for them to make progress without
hitting brick walls.

Be well,
Zack