Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Maintaining private changes with upstream tarba

From: Doran Moppert
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Maintaining private changes with upstream tarball releases?
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:11:04 +1000

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 05:03:11PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> I find that it works best to keep a separate branch for upstream and
> only commit actual upstream changes on that branch.  Then, use tla
> update or replay to merge those changes into your own development.

expanding on this idea (I'm in a very similar boat to Marius):

 - import current version as project--main [*]

 - make a branch for each enhancement: project--prettify, project--bugfix

 - create a project--release branch. project--release--2.0.8 will be a tag of
   project--main, and project--release--2.0.9 will be a continuation which
   merges in whichever enhancement-branches have been approved

 - similarly to the project--release branch, a project--testing branch can
   exist to contain any enhancement-branches you want to release and test
   (though if your testers are familiar with arch this may not be neccessary)

 [*] importing historical tarballs into arch in order to generate changesets
would happen first if that was required.

Can you give a short synopsis on using tla_load_dirs for the first steps of
this? I can't figure out which options I need ... :(

Thanks,

Doran