Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: register-archive potential ambiguity

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: register-archive potential ambiguity
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:34:05 +0200

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 23:26:13 +0200, Erik Toubro Nielsen wrote:
> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Samium Gromoff <address@hidden> writes:
> > >   Say we have an archive (i don`t think there is difference between
> > >  local/remote in this case) address@hidden
> > >
> > >   Could there be any problem if i register it like:
> > >
> > >   tla register-archive address@hidden
> > > http://somewhere.in.the.net/address@hidden
> >
> > There's no fundamental problem, but note that if the archive contains
> > tags that point to address@hidden/...' then it won't realize that it
> > can get them from address@hidden, it will look for them in whatever
> > archive is register as address@hidden (if any).
> >
> > Sometimes it can be useful to have the two names be different, e.g., if
> > you want to to keep track of multiple copies of the same `logical'
> > archive.  I have address@hidden' point to the main R/W copy of
> > my archive, and address@hidden' point to the mirror on
> > arch.linuxguru.net, even though in some sense they're the same archive.
>
> I do the same but the example here shows that it is not well-defined
> in all cases. For instance if I mirror Toms archive locally under
> another archive-"handle":

No, you must register the copy you want to use under the original name,
otherwise arch makes mess of the names. The problem is when you want to
use a mirror for downloading (eq. because it's on web server with good
connectivity) but need to use the original archive for commiting (to
which the connectivity is bad).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>