[Gnu-arch-users] configs specs and meta-project management

From: Denys Duchier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] configs specs and meta-project management
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 01:26:39 +0200

I used "config specs" for the first time this evening and I have some
questions:

1. why does "tla build-config ..." have to be invoked inside a project
   tree?

2. why do config specs have to live in a subdirectory named "configs"?

3. update-config and replay-config are documented but not implemented

I am also not sure how to work with a meta-project tree.  Can I work
on a live meta-project tree (created with build-config)?  I mean
modify stuff and commit, without tla getting confused about the nested
projects?  I gave it a quick try but it didn't seem to work: for
example, when I invoke what-changed at the top of the meta-project
tree, it lists the subprojects with "A/".

One thing that would really help build understanding and confidence
would be a --verbose option that would print tracing information about
what tla is actually doing.

I also dearly miss a --dry-run option.  Many other tools have one and
I _always_ use it where available.

Finally, I could not work out how to use options --files or
--file-list to commit.  Could anyone provide examples for both?

Thanks,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier
Équipe Calligramme