Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository

From: John Goerzen
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:23:26 -0500

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 07:00:47PM -0400, Miles Bader wrote:
> > But then somebody can't check out a tree and have the latest release
> > tree or the latest pre tree.
>
> Sure you could, just use naming conventions such as Tom suggested in another
> message on this thread.

You mean linux--linus-pre--2.4?  That would be OK.

> I would be willing to work with you to write an archive-munging script to
> change the names in your existing archive (I did something similar to
> retroactively change my entire emacs archive from using explicit tags to
> taglines, which I think is a harder problem).  I suppose one question is
> whether the existing archive organization is such that a simple renaming
> would yield the desired result.

That would be great.  Feel free to abrowse and take a look around.  There
are not yet any complex interrelationships; base-0 revs are always tags of
others (except for 0.01), though there are some merges back and forth
between pre and mainline versions.

> I'm not really that concerned about whether your particular archive has bad
> names or not (no one's forcing me to use it), more that if it becomes
> popular, and people start referring to it / tagging it, then these broken
> naming conventions will start to _spread_.

If you're willing to write a script to rename things to the convention
above, I'm willing to run it :-)

I thought this would involve redoing a weeks' worth of tedium, which I don't
want to do unless something better than arch shows up :-)

I'm looking at cscvs now for 2.4 and 2.5 (and 2.6, I hope), so I may just
zap those anyway.  Will see...

-- John