Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BK sync ?

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] BK sync ?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:29:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Alexander Deruwe wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 02:08:32PM +0100, Paul Hedderly wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 03:01:59PM +0200, Alexander Deruwe wrote:
> > > I think this would require someone to buy a bk license.  The free
> > > license can't be used by people working on rev ctl systems.
> >
> > That is definately a problem... but I think the restriction is on
> > people who contribute code to a completing RCS. So anyone who users
> > tla but hasn't contributed code is ok to use bk still. Well at the
> > moment.
>
> This is the relevant clause:
>
> (d)  Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this
>      License is not available to You if  You  and/or  your
>      employer  develop,  produce,  sell,  and/or  resell a
>      product which contains substantially similar capabil-
>      ities  of  the BitKeeper Software, or, in the reason-
>      able opinion of BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper
>      Software.

I'm afraid that by "develop" there is also mean developing any addition to
tla. So IMHO any development of direct (vide below) bk2arch is prohibited.

> So it looks like you're right.  Someone wrote bk2svn too, I wonder what
> their relation to svn itself was..

AFAIK bk2svn uses bk2cvs which is product of BitMover. So writting
indirect bk2arch which will use bk2cvs is IMHO possible, but writting
direct bk2arch is IMHO very risky.

Cheers,

Karel
--