Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [patch] regression test suite

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [patch] regression test suite
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:45:36 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Robert Anderson <address@hidden>

    > On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 22:51, Colin Walters wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I was pretty surprised to learn tla doesn't have a test suite; it's the
    > > kind of software that is easily amenable to writing one.

    > Actually there's been at least two if not more incarnations of a test
    > "infrastructure," and one relatively complete test suite aimed squarely
    > at arch's heart: mkpatch/dopatch.

    > I think the mkpatch/dopatch test suite is in the development sources;
    > the other test suites never really made it to prime time for lack of the
    > significant work required to work up and maintain *valuable* test cases,
    > as exemplified by, if I do say so myself, the mkpatch/dopatch suite.

    > So, mostly, I hope you can keep up the good work.

I'm glad you mentioned those things and agree with the last point.

Collin already knows about the mkpatch/dopatch tests -- he's been
adding his infrastructure to src/tla/tests.

He's been writing it in a style that works well with package framework
and has been starting to integrate into the build system.   It might
be helpful for others to pitch in and help with that a little.

(I haven't looked at the very latest revision of Collin's tests yet
this morning but:)

Once the test suite is nicely integrated into the build system, my
hope is that a few example tests will make it easier for people to
contribute additional tests as the mood strikes.

I'll be merging this stuff in soonish to make it easier to work on --
but in the meantime, it'd be helpful if someone filed the merge
request in the bug tracker (if it hasn't been done already) and be
sure to add follow-up notes about any other changes/additions to also
merge in.