[Gnu-arch-users] pristine-trees

From: Teemu Ikonen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] pristine-trees
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:40:26 +0300

Hi everyone,

I've just started trying out arch (tla) in the last few days and have found
it extremely neat. However, there's one thing that disturbs me:

Whenever a project tree is constructed from the archive, a verbatim copy of
the source tree is made under the {arch}/++pristine-trees/... directory.
This interferes pretty badly with recursive grepping of the source tree,
yielding two matches for every unique match in the original source. This
much is of course just an inconvenience, but some projects which use
extensive scripting in their build process actually fail to build when the
++pristine-trees -directory exists.

A quick browse through the documentation did not reveal any obvious way to
get a project tree without the pristine-trees, is there any way to do this
with tla and still be able to commit possible changes later?

I have no clue on the arch implementation or specification, but is it really
necessary to keep two copies of the source on the project tree, as the
committed revisions can easily be obtained from the archive anyway?

Best wishes,

Teemu