Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Fwd: SourceForge.net Service Update: CVS]

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [Fwd: SourceForge.net Service Update: CVS]
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:36:51 -0700

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 10:39:01PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> nowadays I think
> there's an ego competition about who kills CVS and BK among free
> software projects -- and that's really slowing things down quite a
> bit.

I haven't noticed that. Yes, there are multiple projects. And yes, the
developers of project A think that project A is the way to go. But
that's not the same as there being an ego competition.

You feel tla is the best-designed choice. The OpenCM guys feel that they
have hit on the right solution. The Darcs people are very interested in
trying out their idea. The Subversion developers are content to make some
much needed though incomplete improvements over CVS.

I don't see any ego involved, beyond the normal know-it-allism that pervades
the geek community. But the main thing is that people just want to follow
the ideas that appeal to them. Half a year ago, there was nothing. Now all
of a sudden there are multiple choices. There is no obvious reason to
favor tla over all the other choices out there. People have to make
their own determinations.

As far as I can tell, the quest for the revision control system of the
future is proceeding according to the natural laws of open source software
development. And tla seems to be bubbling to the top. But who knows?
Maybe darcs, with it's simplicity and ease of use, will take the prize.

But where is the ego? All I see are a bunch of projects trying to solve
problems.

Be well,
Zack

P.S.: to bring this back to Sourceforge, it's not inconceivable that they
might offer arch as an option for development. It's probably just a question
of making sure tla can handle the load and not get out of hand, either with
space, speed, or overall CPU usage. They're already having trouble with
CVS. They want to find solutions to ease those burdens, not augment
them.

28