[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] engineering ethics and rhetoric in the modern

From: Zack Brown
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] engineering ethics and rhetoric in the modern age
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:53:21 -0700

So, the point of your long post below seems to be that there are certain
issues of truth that should be considered in a rational and scientific way,
and that you have been trying to do that.

If I understand it correctly, that's a point you've made on this list
many times before in various ways. I agree: it would be good if people
could set aside their emotions, their personal feelings, their subjective
interpretations, and consider the issue of version control from a perspective
of objectivity and rationality.

Now, the argument that I'm making is not in opposition to your point about
the need to consider things objectively and scientifically. I don't dispute
that those are good values, and would be good to apply in the case of arch
and version control.

The argument I've made in this thread is that you discourage people from
participating in that kind of objective and scientific discussion, by treating
them poorly.

Now as you've said (if I've got it right), you believe that it shouldn't
matter how you treat them, because the objective truth should shine through
such mundane and petty concerns.

Ideally, you would be right. It would be possible for people to belittle
us and insult us all day, day after day, and we would have the fortitude to
continue to consider their remarks only for the objective, scientific value
they represented. And I agree with you that it is a general human failing
for someone to be unable to do that.

So obviously, the only conclusion to draw here is that the Subversion people
and everyone else who allows their personal feelings to get in the way of the
scientific, objective truths you wish to explain to them, are in the wrong,
and you are in the right. All of those people should change, and be better
able to deal with those scientific, objective truths.

Now, assuming I've understood everything you've said, and not misconstrued
it, I think I get your position. And as I said, it's one you've presented
here before.

The point I'd like to make is that people *don't* just deal with raw objective
truth. You may rail, "but they should, but they should," all you want. But
as should be clear from your countless experiences, they don't.

Now *if* (it's a big if, at this point) you were able to treat them as
equals, i.e. not as people with nothing but acquiescence to offer, and *if*
you were able to avoid the belittlement, the accusations, the protestions
that you only represent the pure truth and should thus be believed, *then*
the situation would be quite different.

You see, there are reasons why people don't like to be treated that way,
and those reasons quite properly influence their judgement of whether someone
should be listened to: whether that someone's arguments should be considered
or discarded without full consideration.

It's not feasible for one person to really exert their mind in a particular
direction just because someone else tells them to. You can imagine that the
people you talk to have also experienced other people, different from you,
telling them to think deeply about a great many diverse things, and to come
to conclusions that you yourself would disagree with. And each of these
requested exertions could consume significant fractions of a limited life-span.

Now these Subversion people or whomever, in order to make their own
determination of where their mental energies should go, have had to develop
heuristics that enable them to identify when the person speaking to them is
worth listening to, and when not.

In your case, they can see that you are a good programmer, and that some
of your ideas on the surface have merit. Perhaps if they choose to delve
deeper they see that the merit goes deeper than the surface. The point of
this paragraph is that these people do see at least something in you that
might give them reason to exert themselves in the ways you request of them.

Then on the other hand, they see that you have various "character flaws"
(to use your phrase), and these they also must take into consideration.
They consider that their objections are met with ridicule. They consider that
you exhort them to "just think harder", as if their normal way of thinking
was not strong enough. They consider that you say things like, "Suppose
you were a complete idiot: even so, you should be able to understand "X"
(so just _try_)," as if they were not already trying to understand "X",
and as if to admit that they were already trying, by your words, would be
to admit they were less than idiots.

They consider all these things, and they come to the conclusion that you
should be avoided. They conclude that you don't make *enough* sense and that
you are not helpful *enough* for them to make the effort needed to fully
clarify your ideas in their minds. They come to the conclusion that other
directions would be better for them. There are many paths to the truth.
They decide that you, Tom, are not essential for it.

And this is a *good* conclusion for them to draw. They really can't just think
and think and think about some arbitrary idea just because some stranger tells
them to. They must choose who to listen to, and so they make that choice. In
some cases, they choose to killfile you. They choose to never hear you again
in the future. They choose to warn others about you. They choose to fork
your project and take on the burden of trying to maintain it themselves.

Now you are absolutely right that the human animal should be able to consider
the ideas presented by anyone at all, and consider them until the truth
is known. No matter how many nutcases, fanatics, pamphleteers and whatnot
accost them in the street or on a mailing list, people should be able to
listen carefully to each of those people, collect all the ideas presented,
weigh them objectively, and come to the proper determination of truth.

In fact, those nutcases and pamphleteers, themselves human and sharing in
that same excellent quality, would also have done all of this already and
would not be nutcases at all, but clear proponents of truth. We would all,
through our lives, have considered ideas properly, weighed them, and come to
the truth of the world. And we would all have known, as a result of this,
that arch was always the One True Way, and all other ways were mere shams
and fiction, propounded by no one. We would see your shining objectivity
and truth, Tom, not as something new, but as something we had all known all
our lives, because it was true.  And we would have no need of mailing lists
to debate these things, or even of a revision control system; because all
false modifications to programs would be known to be false before they were
ever added, and we could create the perfect arch program on the first try,
in a world that would never need such a program. And we could worship it as
a perfect abstract idea, that would be so, so useful to people if only they
would ever make a mistake.

That's exactly how the world should be, Tom. You and I are in complete
agreement.

Be well,
Zack

--