Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:25:20 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Pau Aliagas <address@hidden>

    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Tom Lord wrote:

    > >     > From: Michael Grubb <address@hidden>

    > >     > I know that Tom is reluctant to give up his
    > >     > cat/cat--branch/cat--branch--ver  directory structure (I really
don't know
    > >     > why, I'm sure he has his reasons, none of which require that I
    > >     > understand)

    > > Existing archives.

    > It doesn't look too difficult to mirror and the copy the new format. The
    > sooner the better. We already did this to migrate format 1 archives.

That's true enough.   But please also consider that:

1) Windows doesn't really impose a path-length limitation that effects
   us.   An ancient API in windows does, and currently Cygwin is stuck
   at that API.

2) These paths aren't _that_ long.   If you shorten them, fine -- that
   postpones the problem a little bit and maybe shifts it from arch to
   some other package -- but the problem is still there.   These paths
   aren't an unreasonable length.

So, sure -- we can do archive cycling things -- heck, even archive
reformatting things:  but to me that feels like propogating a cygwin
bug _way_ out of proportion.