Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Cross Platform Path issues
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:06:31 +0100

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 07:59:45AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

> > > Sure, and reducing the length of path needed will do that. Attempting to
> > > thunk around by path tricks won't.
> >
> > Actually it demonstrably will, since that's exactly how vfat works.
>
> VFAT stores the relative component at each step in the path. OS calls
> store (at worst) the full device path.

Think it through: the same approach used by VFAT could be used to
compress paths - have an external database of paths, put something
fake in the OS path for compatibility (which references the database
somehow), and map back and forth in the filesystem layer.

It's not a good alternative to utilising the native long path
handling, but it would *work*.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |