Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tar for the base revision

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tar for the base revision
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:18:13 -0400

>     * archival programs that stick to a credible standard
>
>     * archival programs that are (essentially) universally ported
>       or implemented
>
>     * archival programs without stupid, arbitrary limits

How is cpio by these measures?  I personally dislike it because I find the
user-interface annoying, but I note that many distro package formats seem to
use it (e.g., dpkg, rpm), which suggest that it might have some good
properties.

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?