Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SCM vs CM

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SCM vs CM
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:31:14 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: "Mark A. Flacy" <address@hidden>

    ["what is `configuration management'"]

    > >From what I've seen, it normally means that you can track requirements
and
    > fixes through the code to your final product.  No doubt it helps with ISO
    > documentation requirements.  (Because creating software is just like
    > manufacturing. [Rolls eyes])

I think that that's not _quite_ right.  The parts of those features
that let you "audit" your builds to see what changes are in there (in
terms of revision control coordinates) is CM --- the stuff that let's
you map requirements onto revision control coordinates are more like
"process management".  Not that the distinction matters much.