Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SCM vs CM

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SCM vs CM
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:11:50 -0700

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:31:14AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> I think that that's not _quite_ right.  The parts of those features
> that let you "audit" your builds to see what changes are in there (in
> terms of revision control coordinates) is CM --- the stuff that let's
> you map requirements onto revision control coordinates are more like
> "process management".  Not that the distinction matters much.

Speaking of tracking builds, how hard would it be to get tla --version
to be able to output the version of each config that is built into it,
rather than just the dists?

build-config can be told to overwrite =RELEASE_ID, but that only
contains the particular file.  It would be nice to be able to have some
file contain the version of each config.

I guess I'm saying that I'd like to be able to see the output of catcfg
for any build that I do, and have it update when I commit anywhere (as
part of my build process, perhaps).  That way, anyone who gets ahold of
an executable for my project can tell exactly what versions of
everything that went into it.

Dave