Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:20:50 -0700

Miles Bader wrote:

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 03:12:34PM +0400, Samium Gromoff wrote:
Not exactly. Many people already use ReiserFS. And yes it does _very_
cpu-wise efficient handling of large amount of files and also tail packing.

Care to quantify "Many people"?

As far as I know, it's a small minority, and will be for a long time.  Most
people are _very_ conservative about choosing what filesystem they use, and
reiserfs doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation for stability.

-Miles
Obviously something extremely hard to quantify in the open source world. FWIW, I've used it on production servers for 2-3 years.

One of the few metrics for this kind of thing that is even remotely useful is the debian package popularity contest.

http://people.debian.org/~apenwarr/popcon/

In the latest stats, out of 1504 computers that submitted data these are the fs utils results(number claims to be those that use the package regularly).

xfsprogs: 70
jfsutils: 26
reiserfsprogs: 141
e2fsprogs: 1071

unfortunately, the ext2 utils manipulate ext3 filesystems, so this info is impossible to deduce.

Rough answer says that a bit more than 10% of debian users reporting statistics are reiserfs users.

-Tupshin