[Gnu-arch-users] robustness improvment request wrt accessing archives th

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] robustness improvment request wrt accessing archives through the wrong name
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:46:36 -0500

I recently got my 3-man team to switch to tla from CVS.

I also spent the day emacs-ing archives to fix bogus references
to archives that don't exist.  I think this is very preventable
user error.  Lots of angst from my team: "if that's an error, why
does it let you do that?  Are you sure this isn't a POS?"

The problem arises when users decide they want to call an archive
something a little different, and then start embedding that bogus
name all over the place with tag commands (at least).

% tla register-archive address@hidden sftp://m1/home/me

"Oh wait, this is on NFS, I don't need sftp here:"

% tla register-archive address@hidden /home/me

% tla tag address@hidden/version ...

etc.

I don't see any reason that the tag command could not look at the
archive metadata =meta-info/name and abort when accessed through
the wrong name.

Am I wrong?  Wouldn't this be a significant improvement?

Bob