[Gnu-arch-users] distringuished branches, Re: distinguished branch name,

From: Robert Collins
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] distringuished branches, Re: distinguished branch name, "clone"
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 17:43:33 +1100

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 17:27, Colin Walters wrote:

> Each user has to use a text editor, or use echo + shell redirection, or
> some other method to create that config, copying the contents from a
> website or whatever.  That's just making things more complicated than it
> needs to be.

What about just clicking on a link on the website? I mean, we're talking
design here... As for more complicated, switching between versions like
you suggest is more complicated in terms of side effect.

> > > But how does this help the user track the latest sources?  Once they do
> > > the 'get' it will still be a fixed version.
> >
> > It will be a config, and amenable therefor to the config approach I
> > *already* described.
>
> But where will the config file be checked out to?

'checked out to' ? Oh you mean for an updated revision to switch where
the symlink pointed to. Well there is an issue there.

> > Why? There are different idioms for different management styles. Tom
> > discusses this more later, but I think you really need to consider *why*
> > you want to push *your* co-operation style onto everyone.
>
> Because I think it's a common development style and also a good one.

So you're improving our lot? I don't buy that. I'd buy "my users are
giving me grief". Or "Bug 5XXX on savannah is an end user needing hand
holding". Or "I'm getting RSI typing in rhythmbox ad infinitum and I
don't want to maintain a fork".  (Well, if you do that much RCS relative
to actual coding, I'd be amazed. But the point is made I hope).

I really think that for both the use cases you have proposed, an
external implementation is the right proving ground for them.

Rob