Re: [Gnu-arch-users] distinguished branch name, "clone"

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] distinguished branch name, "clone"
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:34:32 +1100

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 09:36, Colin Walters wrote:
> * distinguished branch
> But we could still simplify things further if we created a distinguished
> branch name.  Let's call it "mainline", which is my personal preference
> (but suggestions are welcome).
> I'd like to have be able to say just "tla get foo", and have that
> translate into "tla get foo--mainline--0.6".

what about tla get foo<tab><tab> ? That exists today.

> If this were implemented consistently among all the various commands
> (along with the versioning defaults), it could save us all quite a bit
> of typing over time.  It would also be nice if when looking at someone's
> arch archive, you simply knew where to look for the latest development
> version.  Moreover, various tools built upon tla could, well,
> distinguish the distinguished branch.  For example, ViewARCH could put
> it at the top and in bold or something.

I don't think this is appropriate. One of arch's strengths is it's great
flexability. If I chose to use mainline for only production integrated
changes (which is similar to what I use HEAD for in some CVS projects),
then this wouldn't reflect the latest development. It would represent
the latest stable version. What you are addressing here, branch
location, is already well solved via either the config approach, or the
tla grab approach.

> * "clone"

..
> And clone could even be more powerful; for example, suppose I typed:
>
> tla clone address@hidden
>
> That would expand into a clone of all the categories:
>
> tla clone address@hidden/tla
> tla clone address@hidden/package-framework
> tla clone address@hidden/hackerlab
>
> etc.

All of the examples seem like things to script outside of tla.
Secondly. you aren't using archive-setup fully:
tla archive-setup -b rhythmbox--mainline--0.6  \
address@hidden/rhythmbox--mainline--0.6

is a one-liner that does what your clone does. So as all you seem to
need is a) more automatic completion and b) iteration (for the multi
category thing)... I suggest you create some scripts to make these
things happen - and extend tla with query calls where appropriate like I
did with whereis-archive's error code. Then if the scripts are popular
we can revisit including them in the core.

Rob